A Gondola ride in Venice.
A trip to Venice would not be complete without a gondola ride! These long black boats are almost a trade mark of Venice and give you a totally different perspective of the city. Personally I think, if you are travelling with your sweetheart, then a gondola ride can be one of the most romantic experiences.
How much does a gondola ride cost in venice?
Unfortunately my gondola ride was not romantic. Gondola rides are expensive. Standard price is 80 Euros for 40 minutes. Expensive if you are travelling on your own. Luckily the gondola can fit up to 6 people. So what do you do if you are on a Contiki tour and cash strapped? You pile 6 people into a gondola and share the cost!
What to see on a Gondola ride in Venice?
The waterways and canals in Venice are used by the locals on a daily basis. Look at it as a water road. The ride takes you through the serene “back streets” of Venice, the Grand Canal, whom some people say is the most beautiful street in the world. A gondola ride is a fun way to explore Venice.
I must warn you that the water is not clean and really smelly in some places. We have seen disgusting things floating in the water. I certainly do not want to fall into the water.
[note color=”#00a3cc”]You see a different view of Venice if you are riding on less touristy canals and you will also be avoiding a lot of traffic.[/note]
Gondoliers in Venice and what to expect from a good Gondolier.
I learnt a couple of interesting things about Gondoliers. So what makes a good Gondolier?
- Gondoliers must adhere to a specific dress code. They have to wear black pants, a striped shirt and closed dark shoes. Usually they have a special hat but it is not a requirement to ear it.
- Contrary to believe, it is not a requirement to be able to sing. If you want your Gondolier to sing, ask before the time.
- All Gondoliers must be officially licensed.
- Most of the Gondoliers in Venice speak some English.
- It is extremely rare for a woman to become a Gondolier in Venice.
- Gondoliers normally stand up to row because it makes it easier to navigate the narrow canals.
[note color=”#00a3cc”]Gondolas are very expensive and are made specifically for the Gondolier. Some cost as much as a car.[/note]
Most people enjoy the Gondola ride. Would I recommend it? For sure, it certainly was a highlight of my trip to Venice.
Gondola ride in Venice Video.
When: April 2004