Criminal History Check in Argentina
When applying for residency in Argentina it is required that a criminal history check (antecedentes penales) be done. This is a straightforward procedure but if you don`t know how it is done, then you can be losing valuable time running from one place to another.
The information is still fresh in my mind because I had to get mine done yesterday. They have made the process easier by introducing certain on-line functions.
- Visit this (http://www.jus.gob.ar/) site and click on the button in the right-hand column that says “Reincidencia”. Then click on the button “Ingresar”.
- It is best to choose an office close to your home address. In the middle of the page is a drop-down box where you can select your province and city. In my case I selected Cordoba because that is the closest city where I can get the check done.
- Write the physical address down because this is where you need to go and have your fingerprints taken.
- Go back to the previous page and select number 1 in the left hand column – “Inicie el tramite de antecedentes penales”.
- Click on the 2nd option that reads “Personalmente por el interesado”.
- In the middle of the page is a blue link that reads “Ir al formulario” and this is the place where you will input all your personal information, the names and surnames of your parents,your passport number and other information that is required. It is important to check that the information entered is correct before you print the page.
Tip: I saved the document to file and then printed it BUT I didn`t print it with a laser printer. When I arrived at the bank to pay, they didn`t want to accept it and I had to rush and find a Cyber café and re-do the whole form. If you don`t have a laser printer don`t print it. The bank will not accept it because they cannot read the bar-code and they refuse to key in the code. The document doesn`t fit on an A4 page and you need to print in on “HOJA TAMAÑO OFICIO”. The page is a little longer than an A4 page.
- You can also choose if you want the document in 6 hours, 24 hours or 5 days. The price varies and if you want it in 6 hours it will cost you $150 pesos whereas in 5 days it will only be $40 pesos.
- Once you have the printed document you need to go to a Banco de la Nacion where you can make payment.
- Now you are ready to go to the building to have your fingerprints taken.
Criminal History Check Tip
If you are doing the fingerprints in Cordoba remember that there are two streets with the name Alvear. There is Marcelo T. Alvear and Alvear, where you need to have the fingerprints taken. They are on opposite sides of the city.
- There is an electronic machine at the entrance where you key in the letter “P” and it will give you a number. This number will be called and then proceed to the office to have your fingerprints digitally taken.
Tip: Remember to take a copy of your Passport with you. They need it and will not do the fingerprints without it.
- Once the fingerprints are done you will get a receipt with a website address and authorization code to access your criminal history check on the Internet. If you have opted for 6 hours then the document will be ready in 6 hours.
- All the information that you need is on this document. It is a very important document.
- Now you are ready to take the “turno” (Appointment to see the Immigration people in person) online.
Always check the website for changes. I have learned from experience that things change overnight especially when you deal with Government institutions.