GOLD REEF CITY JOHANNESBURG
If you are looking for a fun-filled day with or without family and friends, then Gold Reef City is the place to go.
This old miner’s town has been converted into a major tourist attraction with a historical theme park, restaurants, entertainment, a beautiful chapel (they cater for weddings) and the Casino. You will never be bored.
The rides are spectacular and you will find yourself squealing from delight! There are rides for all ages. The more adventurous can try the following:
Tower of Terror, Miners revenge, Jozi express, The Anaconda and the Golden loop. Photos can be bought at R40 each and are available immediately after the ride. The Tower of Terror has a fear factor of 10!
Other attractions include:
* The 4D Theatre (Visitors will be able to watch images come to spectacular life in glorious 4D, while hydraulic seats, vapours, and a range of smells and scents suited to the illusions on the screen will add an extra dimension to the experience.)
* The Town Square: Live music with new and upcoming local artists.
* The Animal farmyard: Children love the animal farmyard.There are ponies, horses, mules, geese, tortoises, monkeys, alpacas, emus, cows, and goats.
* The Amphiteatre: This structure was build in natural colours and with natural materials. Tribal dancing takes place here with groups from all over South Africa. Sometimes they also have the circus performing there.
* The Museum house: It tells the story of the life of a mine official. There are 3 houses to visit. Mr Ohlthaver’s House, The Dower House and the Oosthuizen house.
* Gold Pour is a must see. Here you will be able to see how the molten liquid looks like. Johannesburg is called “The city of gold”. Experience the magnificent glow of this extremely important mineral in South Africa.
* The underground Mine Tour – One of my favourites. This tour takes you down an old mine shaft and here you can experience the life of the miner. You can touch rocks and they give an excellent account of the history of gold.
They do have a “Height restriction policy”. For the “thrill rides” +1.3m and for the “kiddies rides” -1.3m.
Prices are becoming expensive and the best option is to buy a family package (2 adults and 2 children under 16 will cost you R440 and you save R120.) Of course this will only work if your children are under 16! The normal price on weekend is R140 per person.
Gold Reef City is situated 8 kilometres from Johannesburg city centre and 20 minutes drive from Sandton city and OR Thambo International airport.